The Beatles united for a final photographic session on this day. It was also the last occasion in which all four members were together for band duties; thereafter their only meetings were business-related.
It was just a photo session. I wasn’t there thinking, ‘OK, this is the last photo session.’
The shoot took place in the house and grounds of Tittenhurst Park, John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s home in Sunninghill near Ascot, Berkshire. The couple had moved in earlier in the month on 11 August, although they had bought the 72-acre estate on 4 May 1969.
The photo shoot took place two days after their final recording session together. The photographers were Ethan Russell and Monte Fresco, with additional pictures taken by The Beatles’ assistant Mal Evans. Some low-quality film footage was also shot, some of which is thought to have been shown on the BBC Two arts programme Late Night Line-Up on 19 September 1969, during an Abbey Road special.
Linda shot some 16mm footage on my camera. That turned out to be the last film taken.
— The Beatles (@thebeatles) August 22, 2017
A number of photographs were taking in various locations in the house and around the estate. Lennon and George Harrison wore wide-brimmed hats in some of the pictures.
The session began in front of the main house, with The Beatles standing by the pillars underneath the terrace canopy.
From the main house The Beatles walked down the main garden path past the statue of Diana, goddess of the hunt.
Also on this day...
- 2012: John Lennon’s killer denied parole for seventh time
- 2012: Magical Mystery Tour to be released on DVD and Blu-ray
- 1968: Recording: Back In The USSR
- 1968: Ringo Starr quits The Beatles
- 1968: Cynthia Lennon sues John for divorce
- 1967: Recording: Your Mother Should Know
- 1966: Junior press conference: Warwick Hotel, New York City
- 1966: Press conference: Warwick Hotel, New York City
- 1965: Live: Memorial Coliseum, Portland, Oregon
- 1964: Live: Empire Stadium, Vancouver, Canada
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1963: Television: Day By Day
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime) – The Beatles’ first television appearance
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.